Italian Contemporary Film Festival&The Moda Fashion Event(ICFF)-Thurs.,June 14th-Fri.,June 22nd,2018
By Kimberly Samnang & Photography By A.J.Lam
Inaugurated as a grassroots non-profit film festival in 2012, the Italian Contemporary Film Festival has grown to become one of the largest Italian film festivals outside of Italy. Each year, the ICFF is proud to present an inspiring lineup – the best from newly released Italian and international cinema.
The ICFF is presented in a variety of Canadian cities including: Toronto, Vaughan, Vancouver, Hamilton, Montreal and Quebec City.
Using the power of the moving image to both entertain and educate, ICFF defies conventional perspectives on complex and challenging issues facing both the Italian and global communities. All ICFF films are subtitled in English (or French in the Province of Quebec) as most are in Italian or other foreign languages.
Every year the festival presents an international collection of feature films, documentaries, and shorts, including premieres, advance screenings, and independent films. Screenings are supplemented by guest appearances by filmmakers, actors, authors, academics and other expert speakers and complemented by Q&A sessions.
Some 2018 highlights included:
– Press Conference with actors Antonio Albanese & Giuseppe Battiston
– Opening Screening (“Like a Cat on a Highway”, with actor Antonio Albanese in attendance and Vip’s) with Red Carpet
– Opening Gala and Red Carpet, at QRC-Ricarda’s (with actors Antonio Albanese, Giuseppe Battiston, Fabio Rovazzi, Toronto Mayor John Tory and many other dignitaries and Vip’s)
– Industry Day (with the Oscar winning film “The Shape of Water” special effects and post-production geniuses and with actors Antonio Albanese, Giuseppe Battiston, Fabio Rovazzi in attendance)
– ICFF Moda Fashion Event (with fashion designers and vip’s in attendance) at Yorkville Village, 140 Yorkville Avenue.
– Closing Screening “The Music of Silence” and Red Carpet with several vip’s
Antonio Banderas (“Once Upon a Time in Mexico,” “The Expendables 3”) and Toby Sebastian (“Game of Thrones”) starred in a new movie “The Music of Silence,” based on the life of Italian classical crossover tenor, recording artist, and singer-songwriter Andrea Bocelli, and his memoires of the same title. The film was directed by Academy Award® nominee Michael Radford (“The Postman,” “The Merchant of Venice”). This film featured songs that Bocelli composed when he was young but have never before been released.
– Closing Gala with Red Carpet (with the technical geniuses behind “The Shape of Waters” and actors Claudio Bisio, Frank D’Angelo, Daniel Baldwin, John Ashton and several other vip’s), at The Ritz-Carlton Hotel, 181 Wellington Street West.
The 2018 ICFF Lifetime Achievement Award was awarded to Claudio Bisio and recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding contribution throughout their professional career, enriching Italian culture through their work on motion pictures and television.
As one of the most popular and well-known Italian actors, Claudio Bisio has a multifaceted professional career, ranging from strong showman capabilities to great theatre performances. In addition to being an excellent writer, Bisio proved to be an explorer as a guest here in Canada, accompanied by his lovely wife Sandra. Bisio was extremely interested and eager to interact with various cities in our great country, taking a trip up north to Georgian Bay, Montreal, as well as our Nation’s Capital.
We would like to thank Giorgio Mitolo, Media Relations Manager at ICFF for this invitation.