Super Bowl Breakfast @ Marriott Marquis Houston (Sat. Feb 4, 2017)
The NFL-sanctioned Super Bowl Breakfast celebrated Super Bowl LI and the presentation of the 2017 Bart Starr Award on Saturday, February 4, 2017 at the Marriott Marquis in Houston, Texas.
The Super Bowl Breakfast featured some of the biggest names in the NFL including:
- James Brown, CBS Sports, Emcee
- Tony Dungy, 2-time Super Bowl Champion (XIII as a player, XLI as a coach)
- Roger Staubach, 2-time Super Bowl Champion (VI, XII), Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Jackie Slater, Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1976-1995
- Bruce Matthews, NFL 1983 – 2013, Houston Oilers, Tennessee Titans, HOF
- Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1995-2008
- Curtis Martin, NFL, 1995-2006
- Troy Vincent, NFL, 1992-2006
- Aeneas Williams, NFL, 1991 – 2004
- Anthony Munoz, Cincinnati Bengals, 1980 – 1992, HOF
- Gill Byrd, San Diego Chargers, 1983 – 1992
New England Patriots Wide Receiver, Matthew Slater has been chosen by his National Football League (NFL) peers to receive one of the sport’s most prestigious honors, The Athletes in Action Bart Starr Award, given annually to a player who exemplifies character and leadership on and off the field.
Matthew Slater’s father, Hall of Famer Jackie Slater was a former offensive lineman for the Los Angeles Rams and the 1996 Bart Starr Award winner, making this the first time a father and son have both earned the honor.
The Bart Starr Award will be given to Matthew Slater in person at what is widely considered one of SuperBowl weekend’s premier events, the Athletes in Action Super Bowl Breakfast. Along with his father, Matthew Slater will join the list of Bart Starr Award winners that includes Thomas Davis, Peyton Manning,Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Jason Witten and Reggie White.
“I am very aware of Bart Starr’s character and the type of man he is, so to be mentioned in the same sentences Mr. Starr is humbling,” said Matthew Slater. “I am honored to be receiving this award, not only for what it stands for, but because it is something I can share with my father. I was there when he received his award and to be receiving it myself two decades later is a very special honor for my family.”
Special thanks goes out to Jordan Sok.